Sunday 26 February 2012

For someone who very much lives for the weekend, it’s not been such a great one. Friday night I found myself feeling overwhelmed with the impact of several pieces of bad news ranging from minor niggles to something potentially life changing. I’m not going to lie. I got upset. Really upset.

Saturday rolled around and I found myself feeling completely drained from it all; and it kind of hit me. Getting upset. It’s sort of, pointless. As much as a good cry sometimes makes you feel better, ultimately it doesn’t achieve anything. Sitting wallowing to yourself is just a waste of time. I took pride in the fact I was able to push those emotions to the back of my mind when someone I loved was obviously feeling the same. Making them feel better became a priority. That gave me a positive boost; that it can be done, emotion can be quashed when something more important crops up.

I can’t tell you what happens when you die. No one can. But if this is our one shot; the only time we get; then it might as well be spent getting out there. Having an adventure. Living.

So despite feeling like crap and wanting to bury myself under the covers, I ventured out to go see friends last night; and I’m glad I did. It’s amazing how much difference good friends can make. Granted things lately – well. There’s so much drama in friend groups. People falling out, taking sides. It’s difficult to know where you stand. In an ideal world your friends would like all the same people you like and dislike everyone you don’t like. But that’s a very childish view of the world. A broken cognitive schema. It can’t happen – so you’ve just got to not let it get to you. Not get pulled in to the dramas. Life really is too short.

In 2008, when the worst thing that’s ever happened to me occurred; I got through it by telling myself; everything happens for a reason. It’s the only way I could get over it. Well not over, but I don’t know, a coping mechanism shall we say. That philosophy applies to me now; it’s given me a completely new perspective of everything.

So here’s to the next few months with lots to look forward to, lots of adventures, lots of laughter, good friends; to not letting the bad stuff get to you. Screw that, here’s to the next few years, here’s to the rest of my life.

Sorry for the cheese fest; (mmm, cheese) and lastly, a massive thank you to the good friends, you know exactly who you are. 



No comments:

Post a Comment