Tuesday 21 February 2012

I’ve been feeling pretty nostalgic this past week. It started when I met up with a uni friend and we started talking about our lives; old and new. There was a point not long ago I never really looked forward to the weekend. It was because for me the weekend was never different to the week; it was just an extension of it. Actually I probably preferred weekdays because places like town were always quieter. I’d have a few hours of uni a week and the rest would be free for shopping, shoots, catching up with friends, whatever I wanted.  I miss that life of having all the time in the world.

It also occurred to me when I returned to work and told my colleagues I’d met up with an old friend, that I’d referred to him as a ‘old’. During uni my ‘old’ friends were people I knew from high school or earlier. Because uni friends were current and seemed new. But the more I thought; I’d known him for four years now, and I don’t see him, or anyone of them that regularly because of distance. I guess that sort of puts them under the category of ‘old’ friends. 

I did a double take with the pic. 
It’s mad how you lose touch with people. Some people it’s their fault. Others, your own. Sometimes it just sort of … happens. There’s no argument, there’s no fall out. You just drift. Life gets in the way. It is a shame when friendships fall apart; especially good ones.  It’s on my list this year to get back in touch with someone I’ve lost contact with. I’m undecided yet who I’m going to try and get back. There’s some people who are gone who I don’t want back, I can’t say I miss them so it rules them out. Others I do miss, a lot. It got me looking at old pictures, more nostalgia remembering times I genuinely cried with laughter and how mad that some of those people you there with, smiling away, saying your going to be friends forever, aren’t around anymore.

That being said the pictures also make me smile because some of the people that are still there. I remember a conversation I had with Jake in 2008. It was before we were dating. We’d not long started speaking again. He was telling me about the army, how he was joining up. I wasn’t enthusiastic. He told me not to worry, it was only for four years; and besides, In four years; I wouldn’t care about him. Yet four years on, he’s my world. That makes me smile. I don’t think either of us ever anticipated where we’d be now when we first met. I never thought out of everyone in my life at 17 that Jake would end up being the one constant in my life.

That’s my mind ramble over – update on actual life. It’s been a good weekend – lots of meeting friends; some old, some ‘current’. It was nice seeing Sam on Friday and reminiscing about uni, and then seeing Viliam on Saturday and reminiscing about times even before that.  Friday night was a wine night with the lads and that was lovely too. Apart from a select few females, I definitely prefer the company of males. Everything’s just so much more relaxed; you don’t have to tiptoe around your words. You can be as honest as you like without worrying about offending anyone. Then Saturday night was a meal with a group of people – and that was lovely. A nice meal, good company -I like getting closer to people who you’ve been aware of for a while, but never really known. The only down side for me is that I didn’t know them sooner. Then  Sunday night Ste and James came round to discuss ‘the movie business’. It’s an exciting venture for them, and it’s clear how motivated they are. Fingers crossed that will pay off and they’ll really go somewhere. For anyone interested in what it’s all about; check out their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/newmediacavaliers  ... if you're not interested, check it out anyway. You never know you might be surprised :) 

The move has worked out exactly as I had hoped. I’ve seen more of my friends these past few weeks than I had in months; and my calendar is brimmed full with various get togethers’, parties, and a group holiday on the cards. Life is far from perfect; as you’ve probably seen I’ve not been too well so I’ve got to work on getting better, I’ve got to work on finding a job I want to settle in (preferably with a higher salary – life’s expensive) … but to be honest, I’ve got a pretty good outlook on things right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment