Wednesday 15 February 2012

There's a lot of negativity surrounding Valentine's Day I've noticed. If you genuinely don't like it then that's fine, you're entitled to your own opinion - but the whole "love should be celebrated every day not just one day" excuse for hating it sort of urks me. I completely, 100% agree that love is definitely worth celebrating every day. But, it isn't. Time and money doesn't permit it. Unless you happen to be a millionaire with no job and no commitments; you couldn't go for a nice meal every night, or buy nice food to cook a nice meal. You couldn't buy little tokens for your lover just 'cus everyday. So Valentines is a perfect excuse to do just that.


It's the same as St Patricks Day - you don't give a flying fuck about St Patrick, you still use it as excuse to get drunk. Or Easter (for the non religious) is an excuse to gorge on chocolate. Valentines Day is a nice excuse to tell the person you love you love them, and spend some quality time together; go on a date or have a nice meal - whatever floats your boat.

Anyway, just getting that opinion out there. Hope everyone who does celebrate it had a nice day. Mine was lovely, simple but, lovely :)

I shall update again now that we have finally sorted out internet! Hooray! Until then, au reviour :)

2 comments:

  1. How about saying 'I love you' or going for a 'special' meal any other day of the year. I'm one of those people who say 'it should be celebrated any-time and every-time', but I mainly spew the obvious because I detest all of the marketing, expectation and blind following of a culture that forgets that sometimes things are just nicer when they are out of the blue, because you truly care and certainly not because a date is reminding heaven forbid or because society expects you to, or even worse your partner expects you to because he or she is worried how it will 'look' when their friends ask "what did you do for Valentine's day?". Sure, have a nice time on valentine's day, but don't do it despite 'life'. As you say, sh*t happens and I would much rather be surprised any-time and every-time than on 'that day' that everyone endorses, where one is surrounded with clones all trying to make an impression rather than being true to themselves and celebrating it as a way of life and sharing it when it is truly meaningful. For me, celebrating love on 'valentine's day' means less than doing it just because. I certainly don't need to be reminded that we should not take our partner for granted and share the flame that brought you together in the first place.

    You say that not everyone can afford to do it everyday. Are you trying to say that it's either on valentine's day or every other day? Nothing moderated in-between? Come on, be realistic and stop making excuses yourself to defend an institutionalised date who's main purpose is to sell the same stuff at a higher price and then spit on them if they choose not to pay the higher prices.

    Celebrate life, not dates!

    ##END RANT## :)

    I'm happy that you had a nice Valentine's though. I know I have a strong opinion, but I'm always happy to see more joy in the world! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Almost forgot!!... I love the bunnies pic! ...which is how I found your post.

    ReplyDelete