Sunday 31 July 2011

Given that I’ve seen at least 50 status’ about Marley and Me over the past few weeks I figured I’d give it a watch. Now, this film is described as a comedy with a sad but, let’s face it, predictable ending. And yes, despite knowing the inevitability of the dog’s fate; I cried. I cried like a little bitch. However the general issue I had with the film was the labelling it a ‘comedy’.  It’s about a newly-wed couple and their life. It’s sweet in parts but it’s actually got some very harsh realities from career problems, money problems, domestic disputes. I guess if any credit should be given to the film, it should be for realism and honesty. I guess it portrays life perfectly, because even a happy couple have spats and problems along the way. But is that really what people want to see in a film. Especially one dubbed ‘comedy’. Aside from the two major tragedies I cried at, it left me feeling...well for one put me of getting a dog but I guess...  dread?


I’m at that stage in my life now where houses as a more permanent fixture. Settling down and buying a place. But even though we’ve calculated things like payments and account for bills and tax – it’s still pretty terrifying the thought of having a mortgage. Exciting, but scary. I think I’m just excited to have my own place that I can decorate.




With that in mind I went to Laura Ashley last weekend. Shops like that always make me wish I was an interior designer. I fall in love with colour schemes and wallpaper patterns and start envisioning how I’d decorate rooms with them. Then Jake told me I could decorate our new bedroom ... creative control; to a point anyway. I’m sure there would be objections if I wanted a baby pink Barbie room, though Jake knows I’m not into that so probably trusts me. So anyway with this in mind I headed down to ikea. I’ve settled on a colour scheme now I just needed some furniture and a bit of decoration; I’ve still got my paintings from Thailand which are going up, and now all I need really is time to do it all.


Time is the one thing I feel like I don’t have enough of at the moment. I’m hoping though I can be a bit less of a recluse once the big move is complete. If I’m honest, life now is pretty good going and the only thing missing is a bit more time out, and seeing more of the people I miss. I get that back, and there’s not a lot I don’t have.

 On that note it’s probably time to get back to packing and moving. Next blog update I’d imagine will be next week when I’m in my new house, hopefully decorating complete.  Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment