Thursday 4 April 2013

I've been neglecting this blog a little of late so I'll try and make this post a hearty one!

Yesterday was my 23rd birthday. I wasn't overly excited about it if I'm honest - it was nice to have time off work but the actual birthday concept didn't overwhelm me. Everyone older than me had the same to say; "Yeah, that's what happens."

Anyway, it did turn out to be a nice day. I went into town to do some shopping and then went for lunch and a pint of fruili in the Ship and Mitre (for old times sake); followed by heading out that evening to Wetherspoons for some food and drinks. I got some lovely presents, one of which being a new laptop which I have so desperately desired. My old one finally died of old age a few months ago; and while I can use the phone for Facebook and checking emails;  hobbies that play a big role in my life such as writing took a back seat. I couldn't write my articles, novels or blogs. Speaking of blogs; my new one is now up and running. I keep plugging it I know but it would be nice for it to take off a bit, hopefully to some people; it is more interesting than my general vagina waffle: New Blog.

I also got some lovely cards. I know most people these days tend to only be interested in a card if it's got money inside but me; I am a lover of cards. I think it means more sometimes when someone gets you a card that really suits you because it shows effort has been made. Poor Jake has had his fair share of earfuls about this and my love of 'the right' card - but he did me proud and got me this brilliant one. I also got one from a friend that has me all over :)

The absence of a laptop has meant I've been paying more attention to my other computer. My PS3 has been getting a lot of use lately; helped by the large number of great games out at the moment. I've been dabbling in Bioshock Infinite, Metal Gear Rising, but I think the game that deserves a special mention is Tomb Raider. I remember being six years old; telling my mum and dad that I wanted to be an archaeologist. It wasn't because I liked history; it was because I wanted to be Lara Croft - and let's be honest - who didn't? The new Tomb Raider is a prequel to the original games and shows you how a timid teenage girl with a pine for adventure becomes that woman we all wanted (and let's be honest still want) to be.

But the game also really shows how things change in the world of computers. When I was six years old - Lara Croft was a pixelated cartoon. Her boobs were Madonna-esque triangles that were massively out of proportion to her enviously slender frame. She would dive and leap around tombs, shimmy across walls, backflip of them - and she wouldn't get a scratch. She would brave the artic in her signature vest and shorts without so much as a shiver. But we didn't care - because it was a game. It wasn't reality therefore the fact it wasn't real didn't bother us.

Games now are going the other way; pushing towards reality; and honestly, the new Tomb Raider captures that beautifully. As the game goes on, both through gameplay and cut scenes - Lara gets dirtier, scratched, and more generally rough looking. When the wind and snow come she visibly shudders, clutches her arms and draws herself in for warmth. The first time she takes a life she is violently sick and you can practically feel her emotion.  It's brilliant, because Lara is still kick-ass, but it's got you on emotional level too now. You're scared for her, concerned for her, and you're rooting for her; and not just because you want to complete the game.
Anyway, well worth a play, with lots of little hidden extras aside from the story that keep you going for hours.

I'll leave you with a quote from Ms Croft, though I'm pretty sure someone else said it before she did.

"Fluctuat nec mergitur -   she who is tossed by the waves but does not drown in them"

There's a lot of waves in my life right now. Good thing I can swim.


No comments:

Post a Comment