Monday 21 November 2011

 I’m sort of freaking out about just how quickly this year has gone. I mean, it’s November already. The end of November. Fuck. When did that happen?

I feel like time has sped up since adulthood. When you were a kid everything took so long. My parents have some rather well off friends who live in a house between Little Crosby and Formby. I used to love going there and playing hide and seek across the 6 floors and in the field of a garden. But I distinctly remember always napping in the car on the way. A long, refreshing nap. I drove past their house yesterday. It took me less than 10 minutes to drive to from my parents house. Definetly not time to even fall asleep, never mind feel refreshed from it.

Part of it I think is you’re in a constant state of excitement when you’re a kid, always giddy for the next thing. OH MY GOD IT’S CHRISTMAS, OH MY GOD IT’S NEW YEAR, OH MY GOD IT’S MY BIRTHDAY, OH MY GOD IT’S SUMMER. Your entire life is like a countdown to the next exciting event. Not that I don’t look forward to the above things now. But it’s different – I’m not bouncing off the walls anymore. I look forward to Christmas, NY, my birthday. But I can wait for them too, it’s when you can’t wait for stuff time seems to slow; and when you can it goes hurtling along.

But I guess the one positive is no matter how fast it’s going it’s full of suprises. Last year if you’d asked me where I’d be, what I’d be doing with myself; my answer wouldn’t have been remotely right. I probably would have guessed doing a masters like I was expecting, or if I was working, something more along the Psychology route. Never HR. But there you go. I just sort of fell in to it and I’m enjoying it so it’s kind of comforting to know you don’t need a set plan for everything.

So with that in mind, this time next year who knows where I’ll be. That’s kind of exciting – something to look forward to? Maybe. But I’m not going to get too worked up for it. Unless I want time to slow down, then I can test that theory. 


On a somewhat related note (not really but time... blah blah)... I really want a pocket watch. 

No comments:

Post a Comment