Tuesday 16 August 2011

Jake’s been working lates this week which is kind of crap because it literally means we get about half an hour a day in with each other.  I’ve been filling my lonely evenings in with a lot of telly.

There was a programme on about the riots; one of these its sort of a news show but not the official news types. They were interviewing; parents and teachers of all the kids who’ve been caught and put in court. The thing that got me was so many of the teachers were saying things like, “It’s such a shock, they had a lot of promise and we’re popular with their peers”. Why don’t you just quit the crap and say “They were a little shit, who was going to fail their GCSEs and they were popular because that sort of dickery makes you popular in a classroom, for some reason beyond me.”


It’s the same with serial killers and murders. The neighbours always say, “Such a shock, he was always so polite and friendly.” Just once I want someone to say, “Actually I’ve always thought he was a creepy bugger, I can’t say I’m surprised.”

But alas, people tend not to be fantastic with the whole honesty thing in interview scenarios.

One show that’s great with honesty is the Next Top Model Series. I’ve been watching Britain and Irelands Next Top Model and it’s the first time I’ve really followed the series. The judges are pretty shocking with their comments, granted a lot of the time they’re being honest, sometimes the girls do look like shit but I do find myself thinking, wow, harsh. I think people need to realise that just because models are comfortable enough to show their body off, doesn’t mean they don’t get self-esteem issues. I’ve been modelling since I was 15 and I still am ridiculously insecure. Yes, having your hair and your makeup done professionally and wearing nice clothes boosts your confidence. With makeup capability these days there isn’t many people you can’t not make look stunning.


 But if someone turns around and tells you look crap it doesn’t matter if you’re Cheryl Cole, it still makes you feel like shit.

Some of their decisions shock me though. Last night they got rid of one who I would have probably said to be the most beautiful, or at least up top in that category; over a girl who is, in my opinion, ugly. I know beauty is subjective and everyone has different tastes but this girl just looks ... blah. I think it’s because I’ve yet to see any sort of expression on her face that isn’t sour, and her hair looks like it needs a comb running through it.

They keep saying she’s ‘interesting looking’ which I usually think to pin Angelina Jolie or someone with the title – not ‘natural’ beauty characteristics but beautiful all the same.

But like I say, beauty is subjective. A lot of does depend on personality too, I tend to notice beautiful girls flaws more when they’re horrible people. Then again I notice my flaws a lot so I’m not sure what that says about me haha.

And the final on my list of things watched while waiting in for the man; a programme were a couple are given £12,000 towards their wedding. The catch; the groom plans it all. It’s interesting to see. Some episodes are incredibly sweet because the guys make a real effort to make things perfect and even if they don’t always get it exactly right – a man’s idea of a ‘nice’ bridesmaid dress leaves much to be desired – the effort they’ve gone through makes up for it. Then you get some selfish pricks who spend most of the money flying themselves and their friends out abroad for the stag and then have an extreme budget wedding. If I turned up on my wedding day to find that I wouldn’t marry the selfish prick. But maybe that’s just me. I’d never go on the programme, not that I don’t trust Jake, it WOULD be interesting to see how he managed, but I think part of the fun of the wedding is stuff like planning. I’d be devastated if I didn’t have a chance to go dress shopping. 


No comments:

Post a Comment